first_imgBEIJING, China: A day after watching his athlete cross the line ahead of the pack, again confirming his position as the greatest sprinter, manager Ricky Simms has lauded the work put in over the past few months by Usain Bolt and his team, as he labelled the Jamaican superstar as the ultimate champion. Speaking to The Gleaner, Simms said that the athlete had been working around the clock to get himself in the best shape possible ahead of the World Championships, while also noting the efforts of coach Glen Mills, executive manager and best friend Nugent Walker (NJ), and physio Emerald Edwards to get him in top condition before the start of the championships. Bolt, who struggled for form early in the season while American Justin Gatlin was dominating the sport, arrived in Beijing with a cloud of doubt hanging over his head and questions about whether or not he would be able to stop the in-form American and win his ninth gold medal at the World Championships. He, however, showed his authority, beating Gatlin to the line in the 100 metres final on Sunday, stopping the clock at 9.79 seconds, with the American taking second in 9.80 ahead of the 20-year-old pair of Trayvon Bromell (USA) and Canadian Andre De Grasse, who shared the bronze medal. It was another demonstration of Bolt’s ability to face his challenges with conviction and deliver when the stakes are highest. “Usain is Usain. He’s the ultimate champion. He shows up for the big ones, and he’s been working extremely hard for this,” shared Simms. “We’ve all been working very hard over the last month or so – myself, NJ, the coach himself and Eddie, his physio – to try to get him right.” Bolt showed glimpses that he was rediscovering his range when he twice clocked 9.87 in terrible conditions and within one hour at the Sainsbury’s London Anniversary Games, after reports began to seep through that he was almost back to his old self in training. The world, however, wanted to see it on the track, and though it wasn’t vintage Bolt in Sunday night’s massive win, it’s the Bolt that was needed – the one that thrives on competition, as Simms explained. “He was doing well in training, and like he said in London, we all knew that if he executed the race well, he was going to run fast. He improved since London, so we knew he could go faster if he needed to. However, he was race-rusty,” Simms said. “Obviously, the semi-final didn’t go to plan, but it was better he did it in the semi and not the final. But what can you say? He rises for the big challenge. “I think he’s just a supreme competitor. He loves running against strong guys. He took it down a little bit last year, and the media went a little crazy about him being injured and this and that. This year, he didn’t have an injury. It was more of a tightness – like driving your car with the handbrake up – so he was fit right through the year,” said Simms, who also manages other high-profile athletes such as British distance star Mo Farah. “All the other guys were running very well. Justin (Gatlin) was running well, and that made it more interesting for the public, and I’m glad he got it done,” said Simms. Bolt will now focus on defending his 200m title; and will also compete in the 4x100m at these championships. authoritylast_img read more

first_img10 June 2013 South African Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Jeff Radebe has released the names of 42 people convicted of fraud and corruption – and promised to release many more – as a sign of the government’s intent to clamp down on corrupt officials. Addressing the media in Pretoria on Friday, Radebe said this “aggressive stance has been initiated to ensure that, for the first time in the history or our democracy, criminals in our society will be made known and held accountable for their actions publicly.” Radebe said the 42 people named were prioritised because of the huge amounts of money involved in their cases. He said more names from a long list of over 3 000 convicted individuals would be released later. Radebe said the list of convicted fraudsters would be posted on government websites to ensure that they were not re-employed in any government department. “They will be blacklisted to ensure that they do not move from one government department to another.” Among those named are Boy Meshack Thekiso, David Mtsoane and Teboho Masoleng, who were sentenced to 25 years and 15 years respectively. They were part of a syndicate that defrauded the Post Bank. The syndicate managed to obtain access to the Post Bank’s computer system, transferring funds to fraudulent Post Bank accounts. According to Radebe, for the 2012/13 financial year, criminal investigations had been recorded against 242 people in 89 priority cases of corruption involving R5-million or more per incident. He said a further 758 people were currently under investigation for suspected corruption, and that asset “freezing” orders to the value of R1.07-billion had been obtained. These included asset forfeiture orders for R14.7-million brought against former Land Bank CEO Philemon Mohlahlane and Gauteng businessman Dan Mofokeng. The investigations were being conducted by the government Anti-Corruption Task Team set up by President Jacob Zuma in 2010. The task team is an interdepartmental body pooling the resources of the National Prosecution Authority, Asset Forfeiture Unit, Special Investigation Unit, Financial Intelligence Centre, SA Revenue Service and National Treasury to fast-track investigations of high-priority corruption cases. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

first_imgLATEST STORIES Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion Khai Xiang, also from Malaysia, completed the podium with 145.52 points to score the bronze medal.Another Filipino in Alisson Krystle Perticheto also won after taking the bronze medal in the women’s individual figure skating event.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Dembele arrives with potential to step into Neymar’s shoes Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony Michael Martinez competes in the men’s individual figure skating in the 2017 Southeast Asian Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/SEA GAMES MEDIA POOLFormer Olympian Michael Martinez scored a silver medal in men’s individual figure skating event in the 2017 Southeast Asian Games Sunday in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Martinez, who represented the Philippines in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, earned 171.63 points behind gold medalist Julian Yee of Malaysia, who scored 205.4 points.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more